Monday, January 20, 2014

The Lost Indian


The Lost Indian

Society today has moved to a certain unexplainable, undefined plateau, which keeps on changing moving, to a level of decadence that reminds me of Roman orgies. It seems the level of voyeurism, corruption and greed are reaching its zenith. Before you all label me as a true blue Akali, or a congress wali bandi, or an AAP supporter, a Modi basher (bet that made you smile), I am a lost Indian. I seriously wonder who I am, a lost tribe of the Amazon. Sadly, the Amazon does not run in my country, the Ganga does and she is way too polluted by the moral degradation of the times, the corruption of the moral fiber of the society, the lack of basic amenities for every citizen. Or, am I the woman of the 22nd century who is trying to fight, claw her way to reach the next destination, pulled down by every step, every turn, very corner just because God decided she should be anatomically different then the rest of the population. Just because of this, I am killed; raped, maimed, acid is thrown just because I have the temerity to say No. Why was I taught No, in the first place? All the incarnations of Shakti, Maa are lost in the idol worship that adorns the homes of the 1.2 billion of my country.
Am I the Indian who lives her life through a smart phone? Worried more about connectivity, status update, whatsapp and a false bubble of virtuality. Or Am I the struggling Indian who lives with hyperinflation, costs so high that change and dive at the mercy of the Lok Sabha elections? Just because, a senior heir apparent wishes the subsidy increases. I am at the mercy of the political heavy weights that are at a tussle to fool us, for maximum votes. Then I am torn apart just because I belong to a religion, I am given a quota.
Do I need to be given a quota? Why?
I need a quota, the lost Indian. The Indian whose psyche, the zameer is buried. I need one to revive the lost patriotism, loyalty and all those old-fashioned morals values that I grew up n. I need a quota for the fresh air, food, water I signed up for. My country deserves it. We need to give back to the country, not because we ought to, but because she deserves it. We owe it to her. Not by anarchy or with a revolution or by the systematic division by religion or by caste or by the listing of systematic wrongs that have been slighted upon communities just because we were fooled by slick smooth operators who needed the votes to win and loot the country.
I want all of us to reclaim ourselves , otherwise we might just go extinct like the dodo ; to be excavated in the future like the Jurassic park Of India.

No comments:

Post a Comment