Thursday, January 12, 2023

Peeve #1

 This is a beginning of the year post , and I’m a year away to my fifty ! You know with age and the grey hair that I have in abundance I’ve got so many peeves . Life is all about social media and being connected to each other , but I wonder what is everyone doing with the free time that they have because of all the vowels they miss and writing in abbreviations and just missing out all the grammar . In my times ,we had a compulsory dictionary , Oxford and a red Wren and Martin that was the holy grail for all of us .

We had to use it , use it for reference and were mocked if we don’t know are P’s and Q’s , or didn’t use a colon or a semi colon or an apostrophe . Everything is in hands of Google Aunty or correction is done via auto correct or an app corrector that you’ve downloaded . Sometimes it makes it difficult for me to even understand the Pinglish used or the hinglish . Isn’t it a reflection of what our minds have become ? We have become so confused and as we think, we speak and we type , everything is corrupted .
Another interesting thing that happened with me , yesterday , it was mentioned that I have an Instagram account ; and the young man who runs a boho -chic cafe couldn’t believe his ears . It was strange for him that an aunty , an old woman would have one! The music playing in the cafe was even older than I am and that was meant to be fashionable and trendy ! How we quickly relegate to being old and ancient? Am i supposed to sit down on a sofa , vegetate and listen to what? How unforgiving the youth is? We were kinder to our peers . We were taught better , I don’t know how its been lost in translation and have we  in a hurry forgotten everything , its a state of frenzy to be liked to be adulated and to be forever in the limelight .
It’s as if we are worried and stressed that we would be extinct if we didn’t leave a virtual trace . During my classes with the unprivileged children , I stress the discipline of writing complete words and proper letters hoping I leave a stamp on them but it’s a losing battle as the seductive appeal is far stronger than writing correctly . 

No comments:

Post a Comment