Friday, February 8, 2013

A tale of two sisters and the traffic cop


A tale of two sisters and the traffic cop


(Shamelessly borrowing for the Bard)


The city beautiful has one of the best traffic policing in North India. They do me proud, you have to wear your seat belts, be in check, so that you don’t exceed the speed, the newest breath test and a number of small rules which make life easier and cut down the risk of unruly drivers in the city. They are also incorruptible especially in a city where everyone is related to someone from the tri states, Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh. Everyone worth their salt have a ‘rishtedaar’ they can call. We all love to name drop and try to muscle our way by just naming XYZ as our close family friend or uncle. This has led to me reach an interesting analysis (Elementary work Watson) how come all are related to the politicians or the bureaucrats in the city? If so, the procreation rates would give Darwin scare and are also the answer to the happy big families we all have. No wonder, India’s population is exploding. We currently have the highest rate.

 The city has cops hiding behind the trees so planted lovingly by the founders of the city who wanted to take make it an urbane green French city but they did not imagine it would hide lovers, be a spot for the men to do their business and for our finest blues to hide and pounce on unsuspecting poor ladies who press the pedal and love to speed giving into what else the empty road and the lovely weather.
This is a tale of two sisters who are alike but so different fro each other like chalk and cheese. And the same cop in blue figured in the episode that happened on the same day outside the Golf club. Ah! The club you will say. Well my older sister was in a big hurry and we do not argue with her ever and this was something very small, she was driving and speeding. So the policemen stopped her and asked her to pullover. She did all that and knew she was going to be slapped with a fine. Her sweetness and her looks so helped, the traffic police listened to her and she said, I’m in a hurry, please excuse me this time. I will never do this again. The cop listened to the mantra again and again. She offered him money a 500 Rs note. He took it, but she said I was planning to give you less so please give my money back. The cop taken back, returned her Rs 400.
You will be shocked I know I was too.
The second sister was speeding and was stopped by him (again)! He never knew what was going to happen. So she looked at him and he said madam, you are speeding! Imagine the cops surprise, she stared crying, bawling her eyes out.  She was I’m sorry, I'm sorry , I didn’t know. I will just get you the money, don’t fine me, and don’t fine me. The cop kept on looking at her, flabbergasted taken aback by her!  He stared to console her, and told her don’t worry don’t worry. It’s a simple fine.   My sister went away promising him that she would be just back in five minutes.
Over here, you are going to smile, and let your cynical self take over, thinking what a bunch of con artists. My sister went back to her house (a few minutes away) and came back and paid him Rs 1500!
What do you think? The city’s finest was stunned and every time she passes by, she gets a salute.

1 comment: