Thursday, February 25, 2016

Exams and all

 I just looked myself in the mirror, the hair has just decided to skip the intermittent stage of gently going into the salt pepper stage and then easing into the white to show that I have acquired some wisdom in my earth years; they are a shocking startling white that refuse any attempt to take on any color thanks to Patanjali mehendi. They just plain refuse. You see they also have mind of their own. I Am currently in the over stressed, hyper, tensed mommy brigade, I don’t have time for the budget or politics or reservation row.
You see I belong to the club of the worried, agonizing over stretched mommy whose child is appearing for the board exams. These exams (twice over for me) have put me into a state of nerves. Every known and unknown God and Goddess has been prayed upon so that my son does well. It is every parent’s wish that his or her son or daughter does well and brings laurels to the family name and secures admission to the college of their liking. These, examinations a measure of what the child has learnt and what he knows and that seals his fate.
I just know my parents twenty years ago worried but weren’t hyper like we all are today. I feel social media, this networking, and the accessibility to each other coupled with the intense pressure and competition to secure a seat has made all my friends and me a bundle of nerves. I know of someone who traveled a long distance to pay respects at a shrine so that her children would do well. There are amulets to safeguard the child from the evil eye, there are proper times that charted to ensure maximum studying potential along with highest receptivity.
The Indian mother is the only one known in the entire universe (even the Martians agree to this) that will soak the almonds in water overnight and peal the skin and give to her child especially during this time. I am guilty too. Every little nuskha known to Dadi maa, handed down is shared, and used so as to score well.  In fact, anything and everything is done in short.
In fact, even Geeta my maid asked for an advance this month so as she could buy a supplement for her daughter so she may do better in her exams.
Mothers will be mothers; every one of us will do her best for her child even if sometimes it’s beyond her income level! In Naya Goan (near PGI), the chemists were selling this tonic and it was all the rage and all of them were buying it so that the child would do better. It was a matter of pride and one-man ship to say that she had bought it for it. I didn’t refuse, how could I? Mothers will be mothers. The Indian saying, that a mother will cut her stomach to feed her child is so true .We, all do the best, buying whatever they want, getting them comfort food, keeping them as the center of our universe. In fact, as the days approach I shrink in proportion, knotting myself and of course driving my friends insane with my worries. My friends are the ones who I irritate all the time, non -stop bugging them with my worries, and unfounded tensions!
As, for my hair, I’ve just decided to give up and call them my silver highlights! Or maybe I could go Geeta’s way and just give into the paanch rupiya packet of kesh kala !!!

Till then I am sporting a Danerys Tagareyen look; for the un-initiated she is mother of the dragons in Game of thrones.

No comments:

Post a Comment