Thursday, July 14, 2022

The Case of the ordinary glasses

    It all started with choosing a pair of glasses that would aid my increasing age and decreasing eyesight . I’m literally blind as a bat and can’t save my life if I don’t wear them and with this intense heat and sultry weather they just keep on sliding down . I have a weird nose as some say , thankfully its never been broken and if it had I would have been able to lodge the glasses there .  So , I’m looking for the perfect pair which doesn’t need to be blended to fit !

I went to the stores , fancy one where they make you download the app and everything is paper free and is OTP generated .  They even serve coffee to save the soul when you’re getting frustrated waiting for your turn. All the salesman walk around with their gadgets , and make you virtually check how your face would be with the glasses on . 
This all was so so new, I wanted the comfort of my old guy who make you try all the glasses. Here , you can look but don’t touch and they take out the frames slowly and slowly just like the ache din that are coming .
And, then they confuse simple village folk like me with their fancy schmancy terms , like the type of lens that one should use , it should be light , plastic , non breakable, UV resistant , blue light resistant , wouldn’t fog , and the brand . Coupled with this , its the designer frame , and heaven forbid you might say that you need a simple steel fram e, the old fashioned kinds with those little pads to stick to your nose ..
Trust me , he looked as if I was as old as the dinosaurs and didn’t belong to this era . I was dressed in the wrong clothes , and was asking for the wrong glasses and wanted a discount .
This age , this time , its de rigeour to just walk in , buy the designer glass frames and the fancy lenses and swipe the card and walk off with a message on your phone . Asking for a simple frame , with glasses that stay up where they are supposed to and also to haggle is a no -no . You’re frowned up as if you’re the goblin from Gringott’s and a mix of Gulati Sundi!
And the icing on the cake is if you ask for cheap glasses . No , no they don’t do them anymore, however my membership would enable free service, discounts and referrals . Do these even count? I wonder where the older shops and Uncleji’s have gone where they had pictures of Rajesh Khanna , Vinod Khanna , Parveen Babi , Zeenat Aman looking all glamorous in their glasses and one wanted to be like them ! Now , the chiseled torsos , picture perfect hair  and the contoured skin speaks of artificial beauty that suffices for an Instagram tag ! 
My woes are simple , I need glasses that stay put ( alas I have no Hermoine here ) and also the ones that don’t fog up instantly when I wear a mask .. the troubles of old age have started and I still have to write about my aching joints and stubborn grey hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment