Friday, November 9, 2012

Diwali - spread some light


What happens when you get carried away and do not realize that un-knowingly you hurt someone’s feelings? I wish I could rewind and take back my words that were said in keeping with the spirit of the upcoming festival. In our evening school, with Diwali coming up, we are holding a diya competition; you know the childhood pleasures of buying an earthen pot and painting it and decorating it with little pieces of colored string, buttons and other odds and ends. It is what we do, normal people who do not have I-pads, or the latest tech gadget or the fancy –schmancy outing planned where you would burn senselessly rupees for instant temporary gratification.
To cut the story short, I asked them all to wear new clothes or nice clothes as we were going to vote for the best diya- maker and then it was going to be displayed in the Panchayati office. For, the 60% odd rural school going children this is akin to recognition for them and their families. Consider, the scenario they all belong to backward classes and other backward classes and then this bright spot.
I being an idiot, and insensitive to the point of a rhino (a female one) thick skinned uttered this again. In front of me sat a young boy, called Harpreet class 2, studying in Government School of my village, the brightest of all just kept quiet. In the cacophony of voices that kept on saying yes we will wear new clothes madam, his was silent. He did not even hold my gaze, looking here and there. I looked at him, and said, anyone who needs something can come up to me and tell me in;
my ear and no one will know.
Nothing, nada, zilch and he looked and went home.
Since, then I have been filled with remorse and guilt over my words. If, I could I would take back my words. It is rightly said that one should think and then speak. Maybe, what I need is a little hammer to go boing! My words have made a little boy aware of his poverty and the inadequacy he faces. He tries to come on par with the urban school going kids but all I reminded him yesterday was the extent of his poverty. Is it a curse? How can I lift him from that, in a festival that promises light and cheer? Diwali, a row of lights fails to reach millions in this country while we all are guilty of conspicuous consumption. Urban/ Semi-urban India rejoices and so does rural India, but spare a thought for millions who cannot afford a new outfit or for that matter some crackers to deafen away the silence of poverty .The causes are known to us, and the answers plenty but we all turn a convenient blind eye and ear, resurrecting them only for votes. To spread cheer, and to spread some light share and distribute one’s wealth, because no one till now has found a way to take it to the next frontier. I committed a gaffe’ and will try and atone and this time to mend a young heart but how about you?
Happy Diwali, in the true sense.

Ravneet Sangha

2 comments:

  1. identifying and realising a mistake is the biggest achivement in life.very beautifully worded.words from a nirmal mann.may God guide us in our words and actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you ! God is the ONLY One who guides us .. we just need to recognise His presence.

    ReplyDelete