Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Sorry, Mr Jobs!

It happened one fine day, I gave in and bought one of those thin smart tablets that promised to replace everything else and would be my book, guide, know it all and would answer to every query be it related to music, weather Trump’s crass jokes or just why the Chancellor resigned suddenly. It would also help me to have my books, for the challenged and the initiated it means the I- pad would substitute my books, and I would not have to carry the heavy-duty tomes that I used to lug around everywhere.
Just the slick, sleek sophisticated thinnest screen that I would carry and flaunt in one of those design skins, and I did get one of those designer status symbol insignia ones. Carrying the iPod meant I was with it and I had all the information I wanted with me, plus my books that I could access anywhere. Books and I have a life long affair, I don’t know when I stumbled into this world where I started getting transporting into a magical world of fairy tales, to the faraway tree, to the adventure series of Nancy drew, hardy boys to Mallory twins, to boarding school adventures, to the romance of the English authors of georgette heyer, Bronte sisters, and then I discovered adventure, fiction, murder, mystery, suspense, whodunit’s, spirituality, the list is endless. I did all of those things, using a torch and reading under quilts, hiding in the bathroom to read, to have books that I was reading, to a back- up book, and to have another back up. My biggest fear till date is to not have a book to read , to be without one and that leaves me in a weird way insecure .
I know all of you have faced that particular problem where one delays starting a book because you know it’s going to finish. That’s my procrastination, many days and coupled with coffee and mentally making lists of when to start and when to buy the next one. However, all this was getting solved as I had bought this “ device’. I would never have to worry and I started using it extolling to all how light it was, how it had a night feature where the light would change and the font could be increased to help me with my poor eyesight!
It was a boon for this old young readaholic mom who needed to read and read and then sleep.
However, I realized, I am so old fashioned and ancient that I started missing the feel of a book. The turning of the pages, the use of book –marks that have special meanings, family, friends and even my boys have gifted such beautiful, unique ones which needed to be used.
The feel of a book , the turning of pages, to go back and re-read them , the illustration that sparks of the imagery in the mind , all that I was missing like an ache . In fact, the times I have imagined being in Hogwarts and missing the missing steps and the friendly ghosts or being transported to the world of Middle earth and the wise Ents. To go back the pages and to read the written word, or to wonder whether the dire wolves have a deeper meaning or are just soulfully entwined to the Starks.

Well, the calling was so deep, just like the bond of Watson and Holmes and I succumbed and bought books all over again. Ah, the feel of new books, the illustration on the cover that gave a hint and had deeper secrets that it would reveal. One can ramble and debate on this about the convenience of having a lightweight electronic , unlimited supply of reading over the love of old books, the smell of pages and the heady feeling of a holding a book that holds memories. It’s the physical feeling of holding , touching and feeling and then the imagery and memories associated . The human brain is the most complex and sophisticated machine where as sensory imagery invokes a memory rewind. For me  reading the old fashioned way is what I like and it just beats what Mr Steve Jobs made and sold to billions . 

No comments:

Post a Comment