Monday, July 9, 2018

Save The Vowels !

Mrng, H r u , tc and k . This is what I got today morning and it was just the proverbial straw that broke my back. Honestly, these short forms are driving me nuts. I am not one of those grammar Nazis. Heavens forbid but when in the morning one starts checking the messages and these short forms come, I wonder what everyone is doing with the saved vowels.
Is there a secret society that I don’t know about or don’t belong to? How come everyone majorly eats up the vowels? We are not on twitter nor are we driving at that time that one needs to save time or is being a smart alec to make a point on the twitter feed. We all belong to a time when the colonial hangover was still looming on us, we all went to school and were taught proper sentences and perfect spellings. I just don’t know what happened with the advent of the smart phone. We all are vehla’, and are sitting on the throne and sending messages that seemed to have lost vowels.
My dear, saving the vowels and taking them to heaven are not going to get ache din back. All we can do is change ourselves now and seize the moment. In our lives now, we all profess to be busy and have no time for life and its moments. All we can do is complain and curse and find fault in the government, who are also human, it’s us who they govern but we just don’t want to be governed. All we can do is break laws, not take care of the society, its infrastructure and always play the blame game. Then we are the shrillest. How many of you would actually go plant a tree, or help clean your street? We would rather sit glued to the third arm extension we have and register protests on the virtual platform. I don’t think the God there listens (there are so many God pages) .The administrator there is also human.
A fast pace of life, trying to juggle activities, multi-tasking, networking, and just living the façade of a fake life has changed us. We all are guilty of this, we read, we ignore, we send a perfunctory K, and dismiss. Not realizing, sometimes these are cries for help. Sometimes, these statuses, messages all can lead us to a saddened, depressed person who can be helped.  All, I say is when you reply, just do so with a complete sentence not eating up the vowels, respect the receiver. 
How would you like it? If , one day the vowels just protested and disappeared and became extinct? No DNA sample would bring them back, like the white rhinos. Sometimes ,its good to savor the moment, to go slow, just like the tortoise and enjoy the journey. It’s all about the journey, not about the destination. Life is not about coming first, that is why we have the number line, and someone has to come second, third, so forth and last.
And, next times just make a conscious effort to use the vowels. You’d see the difference, and just don’t get me started on the punjabi english , hindi khichdi that has invaded my inbox.I think its all about being this old fashioned puritan or as they say Buddha ho gaye, tussi .Could be that I am in my dotage, and this fast pace is not for me.
However, I am starting an online crusade where I am going to save the vowels from extinction!
K.


No comments:

Post a Comment