Monday, September 5, 2016

Happy Teacher's 2k16

An extra –ordinary day made super special by my children who gathered today, to celebrate Happy Teacher’s day with me. Let me make it clear, I am no teacher, nor do I have any qualification formal or otherwise to teach the children. I just gather them at my home to engage them every day in basic sciences, mathematics and loads of English. These kids, come to me with dreams to make it big, to be something, a police constable, join the army even if he doesn’t succeed ever, to be a teacher, to be a shopkeeper.
I just realized today it; these children are the backbone of the country. It is to them truly India belongs. They had been preparing for today with so much enthusiasm and spirit that one was moved. There were skits, dance programs and a fashion show and the folk dance of Punjab, giddha. Every child was dressed in his or her finery, wearing the best clothes they possessed, some had their mothers’ jewelry, some wore their father’s watch, and some had make- up on. The girls especially wore the traditional parnadi (hair ornament) in bright gold while the boys wore such tight jeans; I think the circulation was cut off. However, they had tied such beautiful smart turbans.
The immigrant labor children who were more Punjabi than the Punjabis of my village! Enchanting eyes bedecked in kajal, bright suits and they all spoke Punjabi with no accent! The other lot was the Brahmin Bihari who has moved to Punjab so they all can get educated, they all were more comfortable dancing the Bhnagra than they were to their Bihar dance. A proper melting pot this school is!
I love the fact that innocence exists and heals my jaded soul with their innocent gestures. I have hand made cards that declare their love for me in the oldest rhyme ever Roses are red.  So me have handmade flowers, and lots of them have pens stuck in them.
Do remember these children cannot afford pens or stationary, so for them to buy colored paper, to cut and make these, it is indeed special and then to tape a new pen for me! I am so moved and touched by their gestures. This year, they surprised me with a Ganesh ji that lights up (I think its Chinese) and a pair of diamond earrings and a ring!
I think they have it figured that I love jewelry.
These children are my teachers and not the other way around. make do with very less. The joy they have in coming to school everyday to learn a bit more, surprises me. I wish we all could just embrace them. This segment of the society is genuinely hungry for knowledge, as they haven’t been corrupted or jaded by materialistic things or the rat race we see in the cities. These children are at crossroads getting confused with what they are picking up form the television, internet or what is shown on the movies and the fact that they want to better their status in life , economically and financially . the drive is their , it is just up to us collectively to not let get it squandered away in the frivolities of life , hence ruining the next generation. Remember, you and me are insignificant , it is them we need to teach and save to change India to make it better and set it on the right path .

No comments:

Post a Comment