Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What is Spirituality?


What is spirituality?

The most misused and name-dropped word in today’s terminology. I met someone, at a dinner that as polite conversations go asked me what I did? I answered with. And then something struck her and she said but you don’t look at all spiritual. Well, what is someone who is spiritual or has an inclination supposed to look like?
Am I supposed to give up wearing my clothes and start wearing coarse, hand spun cotton to establish my credentials? Or should one be stern looking with a mala in hand and open hair, to look the part? I feel, as societies we are judgmental and like fitting people in niches which make us feel comfortable rather than giving the other person a choice.
How many of us say, oh she is of a loose character (a word I have never figured out because does it mean her cells are loosely packed or she has wispy fly by the night character?). In fact, just because I don’t have the minimum grey hair to qualify and wrinkles to justify the spiritual angle it translates into me not being a blogger for a popular site. I write because I feel and spirituality I think is life in action according to an unwritten code where we respect life and its sanctity, by keeping foremost the Creator in mind. It is love for some, it is nature, it is the unwritten cosmic which keeps the earth and its inhabitants in motion.
It is the beauty in the moon rays, which can warm the heart even if one says the moon is cold, it is the beauty in the shade of the tree, and the dew drops on the grass. I can go and on like the energizer bunny but spirituality is that special place where one can retreat into like a special friend’s embrace. Comfortable, quiet and no questions asked.
Spirituality and Religiosity are two different things. One is spiritual and is free to soar in the skies, not bound by dogmas or a set of laws. In the former, you question, see and embrace nature and its beauty believing that in all reside Him.
It is the unexplainable, uncontrollable divine element that cannot be put into words but exists In fact, I think I do my best and leave the rest to God and his mysterious ways to see it through.
In today’s day and age we are a world of cynics, wandering my, mystics, questioning everything, we do not accept but have to raise fingers at everything. We, have become more self centered, more materialistic as a nation but on the whole there is a change in the society or in humanity where we are becoming more spiritual and that is what makes us move on .We, all try to carve out a special moment in our busy lives (crazy times, believe you me).
Spirituality is exploration, shifting, evolving, changing, and yes challenging and stretching this cosmos to understand the void.

No comments:

Post a Comment