Monday, April 2, 2012

Smile and More Smiles

I  had been procrastinating . I had been thinking and thinking about this particular idea and not the Abhishek kind please . I wish though I was paid that kind of money by the Birlas. I wanted to start a loosely formed body /trust whereby i could teach village kids ( government school only ) and also take care of their medical needs . I want all of them to grow up to be healthy , confident energetic kids who are not shy to speak their minds , or to speak aloud. Well , I popped the question and with a go -ahead started all this. I also , went on my favorite wall .. Facebook  and asked  friends , family and a special group who are all behind this venture.
Well it all started with three kids , Suman , Sahil, Sonia .. all kids from the village . Young bright inquisitive who want to learn and conquer the world like any child. Next day multiplied to Muskann, Manisha, Simrandeep and then two of the little boys who work t home. All of us call them Chotus, well let me introduce you to Hari Kumar , age 11 , Ram Kumar age 11 who are from across the border but not close to Kathmandu but this side( this how they explained where they are from ) . They speak a gibberish of hindi , mixed with nepalese. They ran away from school because the teacher beat them up but remember their alphabet and 1-99.Hari , knows nothing and his achievement next morning aka today was one .
The journey is long , hard and arduous but it requires two things ..commitment and patience. Ram went back to the dera( for the city folk ; it is a settlement where they stay and are fed and looked after ) asked his thekedar for Rs 10 to buy a copy to write his alphabet and his math work. This is inspire of my telling him not to spend any money . A young girl , Kiran class tenth wants to be taught english so that she can clear her boards in English . The irony , she wants to pay me and that left me tears . I had no answer , except a nod. She is being joined by 4 more kids who have cleared their ninth class exams . I am not condemning the school system nor do I want to say anything about the govt. all I know is that they need help. I will keep you all posted on a weekly basis :))

1 comment: